GxGInternational Students

日本での生活・大学生活Campus Life in Japan

日本国外へ渡航するとき(一時帰国や日本国外への研究旅行等)When Traveling Outside Japan (Temporary Leave and Research Trip to Overseas etc.)






Foreign nationals in possession of a valid passport and Residence Card who will be re-entering Japan within 1 year of their departure to continue their activities in Japan will, in principle, not be required to apply for a re-entry permit. This is called a special re-entry permit. 

Foreign nationals who have departed from Japan on a special re-entry permit will not be able to extend that permit while abroad.

Please note that such foreign nationals will lose their resident status if they fail to re-enter Japan within 1 year of their departure.

If your period of stay expires within 1 year after your departure, please ensure that you re-enter Japan before the expiration of your period of stay.

Note: You must submit a “Notice of Absence (Study Abroad/Travel/Temporary Leave)” when leaving Japan, regardless of whether classes are in session.

[References] Notice to international students returning to your country temporarily during vacation (PDF) 

As the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 infection is rising again worldwide including in Japan, the border controls of each country and flight conditions can be fluid. Non-essential travel is discouraged at this time. If you have a special reason and cannot avoid traveling to your country, please learn the procedure and rules regarding re-entry to Japan before you purchase your flight ticket(s). Please check this page.
※Upon your arrival, use the “Report form when you enter Japan(入国者報告フォーム)” to inform the university on your immigration status and health condition.