The Geishin-Ryo is a Tokyo University of the Arts dormitory open to both Japanese and international students.

Other than the University’s dormitory, there is the Tokyo International Exchange Center (TIEC), a facility provided by the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) for outstanding graduate students, researchers, and others. This is also open to international students as well as Japanese students who are keen to get involved in international exchange.

The University also has a partnership with a company that arranges private flats for international students.

Geishin-Ryo Residence

In April 2014, a student dormitory opened for our Fine Arts, Music, Film, and New Media students. It offers a space to enhance your artistic sensitivity.


Address: 3-12-30 Towa, Adachi-ku, Tokyo 120-0003
Access and Transportation
Geishin-Ryo can be accessed by walking 15 minutes from Kameari Station (JR Joban Line) and 16 minutes from Kita-Ayase Station (Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line ) or by taking a bus about 15 minutes from Ayase Station (JR Joban Line).

*If you are not sure about your eligibility, please ask the Extracurricular Support Section of the Student Affairs Division.

International students (with a “College student” visa) who have been admitted to the “Residence and intend to apply for an institutional guarantee system” need to be covered by the Comprehensive Renters Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan.

For more details about application procedures, please check the university’s official homepage

Residence Facility

Room type

Room layout

Number of houses


Type A(18㎡)

Living room + Balcony



Type B(29㎡)

Living room + Balcony + Anechoic chamber


Accommodation fees
Room type Monthly Payment Remarks
Type A 44,900JPY

Utility fees will be charged separably

Type B 83,200JPY

Tokyo International Exchange Center (TIEC)

Tokyo International Exchange Center (TIEC) is run by the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) for international and domestic students and researchers. Those who wish to apply for TIEC first submit documents to Tokyo Geidai and then may be recommended after the screening. This is also open to international students as well as Japanese students who are keen to get involved in international exchange.

General Information

Address:〒135-8630 2-2-1 Oume, Koto-ku, Tokyo

– 3-minute walk from “Tokyo International Cruise Terminal” station on the “Yurikamome” line
– 15-minute walk from “Tokyo Teleport” station on the “Rinkai” line

Access to each Geidai campus;

Ueno Campus
1 hour/550 yen (Tokyo International Cruise Terminal Station – Shimbashi – Ueno)
1 hour/530 yen (Tokyo Teleport Station – Osaki – Ueno)
Senju Campus
1 hour/600 yen (Tokyo International Cruise Terminal Station – Shimbashi – Kitasenju)
1.5 hours/640 yen (Tokyo Teleport Station – Shinkiba – Hatchobori – Kitasenju)
Yokohama Campus
1.25 hours/1,050 yen (Tokyo International Cruise Terminal – Shimbashi – Yokohama -Bashamichi)
1.25 hours/910 yen (Tokyo Teleport Station – Osaki – Yokohama – Bashamichi)
Toride Campus
1.75 hours/1,530 yen (Tokyo International Cruise Terminal Station – Shimbashi – Toride – TUA)
2 hours/1,600 yen (Tokyo Teleport Station – Osaki – Shimbashi – Toride)


Available here for the layout of each room. Please visit JASSO’s website for more details on other facilities and equipment.
Please note that the facility is not equipped with soundproofing facilities for practicing musical instruments and a suitable space for large artworks.

Requirements for residents

The resident must meet all of the following requirements.

<International Students>
・Graduate students (enrolled in a full-time regular course) who are not enrolled beyond the standard period of study, whose Status of Residence is “student.”
・If having lived in TIEC before, the period of residence must be less than 3 years.
*Research students are not eligible to apply.


If you wish to apply, please read the application guidelines and submit the required documents to the International Affairs Office.

For more details, please go to JASSO’s website.
*For any inquiries, please contact the International Affairs Office. Do NOT contact JASSO directly.

Private Houses and Apartments

Other than the university dormitory and the Tokyo International Exchange Center (TIEC), the following are other housing options for university students.

・Private apartments (GTN / NASIC)

・Shared rooms or shared houses (Interwhao)

・Student dormitories and student halls operated by private companies

The Urban Renaissance Agency (UR) (No guarantor or key money required)


Those who opt for this type of housing must do searches on their own since the university cannot arrange for each student. To find an apartment, we encourage you to seek advice from your tutors, classmates, etc., and obtain information through the university co-op or real estate agents. When renting a privately owned apartment, a real estate agent may request you find a guarantor. However, any member or office of the university, including the President and a university administrative office, does NOT act as a guarantor of a rental contract for any student.

In Japan, it is a common practice that landlords/management companies require tenants to pay reikin (key money) in addition to shikikin (a security deposit) when they rent an apartment. Key money is non-refundable, while a deposit is usually returned after leaving the apartment, provided the rented space is left in good condition. Again, we recommend that you seek the assistance of your Japanese tutors and friends to avoid trouble and confusion when you make a rental contract. The links provided below may be useful to better understand how to rent an apartment, which covers topics such as shikikin, reikin, and guarantor, as well as important points when living in rental housing in Japan. Please check those links before you start your search.